Emergency Contacts

If you have an emergency please call 911.

For other emergency contact information, please see the numbers below:


Phone: 780-312-7267
Inquiries: 780-312-7200
Fax: 780-352-3363



Emergency Services Fees

Be aware of the costs of fire emergency services. While the Summer Village has contracted for the service to be available to your residence, it does not cover the call out fees. Contact your insurance broker to determine if call out fees are covered in your policy.
Note that there are fees for any call out, examples include: False alarms, fires, medical first aid.

Fire response is provided by volunteers with the Mulhurst Bay Fire Department.  The station is located 2.7 km away.  There are no fire hydrants in the Summer Village.


Atco Gas 24-Hour Emergency Services

Epcor (Fortis Alberta) Power Emergencies
310-WIRE (310-9473)

Fish and Wildlife

Leduc 780-986-6775
Wetaskiwin 780-361-1250

Wetaskiwin County Sewer

Lift station problems: 
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm Call (780) 361-6241 or (780) 387-6317
After hours call (780) 352-0005 


Summer Village of Silver Beach Emergency Services

Best stay connected with our emergency notification systems:

Pigeon Lake’s Regional Emergency Management Agency (REMA) is responsible for the planning, coordinating and supporting emergency agencies and resources during major emergencies and disasters. REMA is established under our emergency bylaw.

REMA works with all departments, utility companies, other municipalities and nonprofit groups to prepare, respond and recover more quickly when a disaster occurs. The REMA manages the Region’s Emergency Management Plan (REMP) for all 10 Summer Villages on Pigeon Lake and identifies the Region’s resources and organization in the event of an emergency or disaster. The REMP is the master document developed by various Agencies such as Police, Fire, Municipal Works, and Emergency Social Services.

The Emergency Management Committee

The Emergency Management Committee is made up of councillors from each municipality and has the responsibility of designating a Director of Emergency Management and mandating responsibilities.
How YOU Can Be Prepared for an Emergency Know the risks that can happen in your area. In Alberta, a tornado can strike quickly, wildfires can threaten communities and heavy rains can cause flash flooding. When an emergency occurs, family members may not be together and could be at school, home or work. It’s important to sit down with your family and make your own emergency plan so that each family member knows what to do if an emergency occurs.

How you can Prepare:

  1. IDENTIFY THE RISKS: Prepare a list of the most common risks in your region and learn about the possible consequences of those risks. Then, walk around your house and identify dangers like heavy pictures hung loosely, toxic products, and so on. Take any necessary corrective steps to secure your possessions and your home.
  2. PREPARE YOUR FAMILY EMERGENCY PLAN: Choose an out-of-area contact, someone each member of the family can call or e-mail in case of an emergency. This person can help family members stay in touch and get back together if they are separated. Be sure to pick someone who is far enough away so as not to be affected by the same situation. Decide on temporary accommodation – such as a friend’s place or hotel – where you can stay for a few days in case you are evacuated. This may also be where you will meet if you are separated during a disaster. When choosing your shelter, remember that bridges may be out and roads may be blocked. (Don’t forget to plan for your pets: they are not always welcome in emergency shelters or hotels.)
  3. PRACTICE YOUR PLAN: At least once a year your plan should be practiced. Practice often helps people feel less disoriented and better organized in case of a disaster – even in the middle of the night or the middle of winter.


Disaster Recovery

During a disaster, the province will help with funds for items NOT covered by insurance (this means you still need to have house insurance). This help is called the “Disaster Recovery Program” (DRP), but this only applies to your primary residence. If your summer village home is a secondary lodging, there is no DRP funding available so please make sure you have appropriate home insurance on your property.