Development Officer Contact Information

The Summer Village of Silver Beach's Development Officer can be contacted as follows:
Imai Thomas Welch
Phone: (403) 819-8352

Any development on your lot requires a development permit. If you are considering doing any work, please APPLY EARLY, as development applications require a number of documents and plans to be submitted, and appropriate notice periods. See Timelines below for further detail.

Development Application Form

Engineered Grading/Drainage Plan Requirements

Note that this can be submitted electronically, if it is clear and to scale (no photos of drawings, please scan in or email original document)

Property owners are urged to hire a draftsperson/other designer or an architect to draw up their plans. While they can draw the plans themselves, when they're done professionally they tend to be much easier to read and provide higher levels of detail.

Development Information Sheet

Development Security Deposit Policy

Once your development permit has been approved, you will need to get the necessary permits (building, gas, plumbing, electrical) from The Inspections Group.

All shoreline work requires a permit from Alberta Environment and Parks.

Information on sand dumping and other common lakeshore activities that require permitting can be found here:  https//

For new sewer line connections to the main line, an inspection needs to be done by NEPL - North East Pigeon Lake Sewer Commission prior to it being covered it up. Contact the County of Wetaskiwin at (780) 352-3321 to request the inspection. They do not need to ask for an inspection if there was already a connection to the main line, and they are just re-building their cabin and connecting at the house. There is no fee for the connection.

Be aware that you must not hook stormwater drainage systems, or weeping tile infrastructure into the North East Pigeon Lake sewer line.  The system is designed to be used only for household black and grey water.

Subdivision Authority (i.e. for lot consolidations or subdivisions)
Subdivision Fees
Municipal Planning Services (2009) Ltd.
(780) 486-1991

Alberta One Call has changed their name now to “Utility Safety Partners”. 

 “Click before you dig”


For a standard development application, once all files and the application has been received, the permit will take approximately 3 weeks.

If a variance or discretionary use is requested, there will be an extra ~ 3 weeks for the permit.

Note: any changes requested, or missing documents will require additional time.

Once the permit is issued, there is a 21 day notice and appeal period before the permit comes into effect.

All requests are processed in the order they are received.

Maintaining and Protecting your Water Well

Here in the Summer Village each property has its' own private water well.  These wells are the responsibility of the property owner.  It's important to know how to protect and maintain your well.

The Alberta Government has created the "Working Well" program to give you the information and tools you need.

Please check out this link for more information.

Docks and Mooring Structures

Pigeon Lake is located on crown land and, under the current rules, no one can place a dock or other mooring structure (including boat lifts, personal watercraft lifts, swimming platforms and mooring buoys) in the lake without written permission from Alberta Environmental Protection (AEP) under the Public Lands Act.  Most commonly, the written permission will be in the form of a temporary field authorization (TFA) issued by AEP.  The property owners who are not included under the Disturbance Standard will be required to obtain a TFA or other written permission from AEP before placing their docks and other mooring structures in the lake.

If you have any questions about the applicability of the Disturbance Standard to you, the rules set out in the disturbance Standard or the process to be followed in order to obtain a TFA, then you can contact the AEP office for the Bighorn/Edmonton district at

The Disturbance Standard can be accessed by clicking on the link set out below:

Planning Documents


Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDP): with the County of Wetaskiwin, Summer Village of Argentia Beach and Summer Village of Golden Days

Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework (ICF): with the County of Wetaskiwin, Summer Village of Argentia Beach and Summer Village of Golden Days

Municipal Development Plan (MDP)

Land Use Bylaw: Divides the municipality into districts; has permitted and discretionary uses in each district; sets standards for development 

Current Wastewater Bylaw

Relationship Between Planning Documents

The hierarchy of documents within the Summer Village of Silver Beach's land use planning framework is established by the Municipal Government Act (MGA). The MGA requires that each level is consistent with the level above and below it, and that the policies or regulations within planning document(s) at each level may be implemented by those below them in the decision-making process. The MGA provides the legislative authority for municipal land use planning and decision-making, while the North Saskatchewan regional plan (or Land Use Policies in their absence) provides broad-based policy directions and principles for municipal land use planning, which are effected through statutory plans and bylaws.

The statutory plans provide future direction for the development and use of lands at the fringe areas of the Summer Village's boundaries (IDP), and within the corporate boundaries of the Summer Village (MDP). The Land Use Bylaw regulates the use and development of land based on the policy directions of statutory plans. The Public Participation Policy contains requirements for public engagement outside statutory plans, the LUB and other planning documents that may be considered when making decisions on development permit and subdivision applications. Where there is a conflict or inconsistency between a higher-level planning document and a lower-level planning document, the higher-level planning document prevails to the extent of the conflict or inconsistency.

Compliance Certificates

The need for a Real Property Report (RPR) and Compliance Certificate generally arises when buying or selling developed property.

An RPR is a site/plot plan drawn and/or certified by an Alberta Land Surveyor. The RPR gives lot dimensions, illustrates the dwelling’s location and accessory buildings relative to the property boundaries. The RPR also shows visible encroachments onto or from the property, right-of-ways and easements as noted on the Land Title on the date of survey. The RPR is a legal document that is considered an accurate representation of your property at a specified moment in time.

A Compliance Certificate is a signed acknowledgment by the Summer Village's development officer that the principal building and accessory buildings meet or exceed the requirements of the Summer Village's Land Use Bylaw. Please note that if the RPR is older than one (1) year, a request for a Compliance Certificate must be accompanied by an Affidavit, executed within 30 days of submission for compliance and signed by the seller, that no additions, structures or changes to existing structures have occurred since the date of the survey.

Submit your request to the Development Officer. The pdf version of the RPR from the surveyor may be e-mailed; alternatively 2 original copies of the RPR can be mailed to the Development Officer; one signed copy will be returned with the compliance certificate.

The fee for a Compliance Certificate is $100.00 (issued within ~ 10 working days).

The fee for a rushed Compliance Certificate is $200.00 (issued within 3 working days).

Tax Certificate

A tax certificate is available upon e-mailing a request to:  There is a fee of $30.

Road Permits

A permanent road ban is in effect within the corporate limits of the Summer Village for the entire calendar year. The road ban shall impose up to a seventy-five percent (75%) axle weight restriction. A seasonal road ban is in place during spring breakup or any other time the road is at risk of damage. The seasonal road ban shall be at 50% axle weight restriction.

Roadata Services Ltd. manages the permits for the Summer Village, and inputs the information into the Provincial Transportation Routing and Vehicle Information System (TRAVIS). To get a permit, please call: 1-888-830-7623.


Subdivision Survey Maps

30 ET

175 KS

613 MC

4655 HW